Absolutely Fantastic Quality Rare Fully Hallmarked Solid Sterling Silver Large (8/20cm) Heavy (1.6kg) English William Comyns Caviar Dish With Beautiful 24ct Gold Interior. This is a superb opportunity to acquire a breathtaking piece of British silversmith history.Work of a master craftsman of the highest order. Needs to be seen and handled to be fully appreciated as the photographs really do not do it justice. If you are looking for one of these, youd be extremely hard pressed to find anything remotely like it. This item was also made in a smaller size weighing 550g but very few were ever made this size weighing 1.6kg! This caviar dish is fit for a king! Its absolutely breathtakingly flamboyant, elaborate and extravagant. Fit to grace the best of tables anywhere on earth. Its a marvellous centrepiece and a real sought after collectors item. Please browse all 12 sets of photographs for size, weight and condition as they are self explanatory.
If you require more photographs please advise and I will gladly send you more. This caviar serving dish is superbly decorated with a sturgeon shape handle and marvellous ornate and intricate legs. Consists of three pieces, the bowl, the inner plate and the cover. William Comyns & Sons were manufacturing silversmiths, Beak Street, London W1; subsequently (from c1957) Tower Street, London WC2. William Comyns of London Ltd were formed in 1993 as successors to William Comyns & Sons Ltd in Eastbury Road, London E6.The firm are still in business today! As yet efforts to trace the latter's lineage have failed; it seems clear, however, that Tagg succeeded John Tapley at 40 Roupell Street, Waterloo Road. Tapley, a manufacturing silversmith, was probably the last of Rundell, Bridge & Co. S outworkers and is also known to have provided work for Robert Green & Co and Makepeace & Walford.
Robert Tagg moved in 1857 to his new residence and manufactory at 2 Carlise Street, Soho Square, where by 1859 he listed as a silversmith. He moved to 1 Percy Mews, Rathbone Place, the to 16 Silver Street, Golden Square, Soho, and seubsequently to Beak Street, Regent Street.
These premised were later expanded to 41, 43, and 45 Beak street and to 41, 43, 45, 47 Beak Street. Additional premised were taken from c. 1903 at 54 Marshall Street, Soh. The style of the firm was changed to William Comyns & Son c. 1885 when William Comyn's two sons, Charles Harling Comyns and Richard Harling Comyns were admitted to their partnership.
William Comyns died in January 1916, and C. Comyns while attending a sale in Christie's in 1925. The business was incorporated as limited liability company as William comyn's & Sons Ltd. Registered on 20th October 1930, with R. Comyns as permanent governing director.
They are now one of the few surviving manufacturing silversmiths in London, with premises at Comyns House, Tower Street, London, WC2. William Comyns first appears to have made a significant impact in the early 1880s by supplying increasingly large numbers of decorative wares in silver, many of which were die-stamped. London retailers of their products at this period included Henry Lewis, Howell & James Ltd etc. The item "Rare Solid Silver Large 8/20cm Heavy (1.6kg) English William Comyns Caviar Dish" is in sale since Thursday, August 30, 2018.This item is in the category "Antiques\Silver\Solid Silver\Other Solid Silver". The seller is "santoor-uk" and is located in Salford, Greater Manchester. This item can be shipped worldwide.